DAS Spotlight for December 2007: Kristyn
Kristyn (Pooh backpack) out to dinner with the DAS group at
Han Wool in Philly after the 2007 Celebrate Japan Festival
- Name: Kristyn
- DAS Position/Role: DAS PA Chapter (Kanameiji) member
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- What are your favorite animes, music, and Asian cinema?
Anime: .hack (series and games), most of the Miyazaki films, Gravitation, Full Metal Alchemist: The Movie (haven't seen series yet...but want to!), Ah! My Goddess, Escaflowne, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Crest of the Stars, El Hazard, and probably more I can't think of right now ;)
Music:Anime soundtracks, Movie soundtracks, Broadway soundtracks (noticing a pattern here? ;)), New Age/Ambient, and Celtic music are my favorites, but I will listen to pretty much anything (except rap/hip-hop and country :-P)
- Hobbies outside of anime? EverQuest 2 and other RPG gaming (PS2 and PC), reading fantasy novels, website design, hanging out with friends, chatting online
- What do you like best about the DAS? Meeting new people and hanging out with friends who are geeks like me ;), discovering new anime titles, learning more about Asian culture
- What do you think the future holds for the DAS?I think DAS will continue to grow, gaining a lot more members, and maybe even getting some new chapters!
- Do you cosplay? If so, what are your favorite costume(s)
I have never "officially" cosplayed as a particular character, although I am working on a Nausicaa costume for Otakon this year!
- Conventions attended and/or staffed?
Attended: I've attended Anime Weekend Atlanta, Otakon (Baltimore), Zenkaikon (King of Prussia), and Tandokucon (Philadelphia)
- Have you ever named a pet/computer/insert word here after an anime or Asian character? If so, which and why?
Hmmm...I had a mage in World of Warcraft (back when I played that game) named Mistral after the character from .hack. Mistral is one of my favorite characters in the .hack series. Unfortunately, I never really played that mage as I was too addicted to my rogue :-P In EQ2 I've given some of my characters Asian-influenced names, but they aren't named after any particular character.
- What theme or institution in anime should be decreased or increased and why?
I would like to see more anime with original themes, and less beating the same themes to death. And while cute/silly series are fun and will always have their place, I would also like to see more anime that is geared towards adult audiences with deeper undertones.