Media & Community
DAS Spotlight for September 2006: Kawaii Nai
First: Nai having fun at Captain Blue Hen Comics during
free comic book day with fellow members Kiwi and Matt.
Second: Nailah cutting the DAS cake
during our 2006 DAS Cosplay Picnic
- Name: Kennya Nailah Seeney aka Kawaii Nai aka KSWEET7 aka Ken_meHameHa aka Wuxia_Lover aka Gigglie_Admin
- DAS Position/Role: unofficial Unofficial Delegate-at-Large
- Location:Newark, DE
- What are your favorite animes, music, and Asian cinema?
Anime:Many, many, many but a few are: Gravitation, Kizuna, Dirty Pair, Fake, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness), Edens Bowy, Crying Freeman, Record of Lodoss War, Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances), Aquarian Age, Mirage of Blaze, Millennium Actress, Sukeban Deka…and this list could go on forever
Music: Glaring Dream by Kinya Kotani (Gravitation ending theme), Starry Sky by H/\L (Angelic Layer 1st ending theme), Anna Ni Ishoudatta Noni by See-Saw (Gundam Seed ending theme), The End of the World and Over the Limits by Angela, Siren by Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Hikari and Passion by Utada Hikaru (Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 themes), and many, many others.
Asian Cinema: Many but a few are: House of Flying Daggers, 5 Deadly Venoms, Young Master, Black Angel 1&2, Score, Blood, Super Cop, Reborn from Hell 1&2, Hero, The New Big Boss, Shogun Assassin, Rumble in the Bronx, Ong Bak the Thai Warrior, Vampire Hunters and on and on…
- Hobbies outside of anime? Tea regalia, Reading, Walking through parks (Susquehanna State Park, Battery Park, Lums Pond, White Clay Creek), Making magnets out of common items (bottle caps, fake credit cards, miniature tea sets, DQ Bizzard antenna topper, etc), Rearranging my apartment, Proofreading stories, Visiting different houses of worship, Taking pictures and choosing which to print and frame, Singing along with songs, Net surfing, Chatting on the phone and online, Recycling, Shopping (in stores and online), Helping people feel better about themselves, Collecting Maneki Neko, Saving insects from being tortured by my cats, visiting friends and family and, of course, playing UNO! along with other games.
- What do you like best about the DAS? I like the fact that many different people come together to enjoy a mutual love. You have young, old; demons, humans; yoai, yuri; brown, white; seme, uke; rich, poor; gay, straight; dead, undead - all coming together and really enjoying the time they spend with each other. It's a beautiful thing!
- What do you think the future holds for the DAS? I am not able to hazard a guess at the moment. Hopefully the DAS will continue to be member focused and build upon the foundation of camaraderie that already exists. "May a club never be more important than its members."
- Do you cosplay? If so, what are your favorite costume(s) Yes but not very often. My favorite costume is my only real character costume Shun Morihata of “Shingu”. Other than that I’ve been Kuro Neko of Trigun. I am going to heed Matt Doms' suggestion to cosplay as UNO! cards. I have to get to work on a "Draw Four" costume.(^_~)
- Conventions attended and/or staffed?
Attended: Nerdcon (2), Kosaikon(1), Otakon(5). Staffed: Zentrancon(1), DAS Mini-con(2), Zenkaikon(1)10/06
- Have you ever named a pet/computer/insert word here after an anime or Asian character? If so, which and why?No, but if I was knocked-up I like Kiyone (Tenchi Muyo) or Kurenai (Samurai Gun, Naruto, XJapan song, Red Ninja PS2 game) for a girl and I like Ronin (masterless samurai) or Kyoshiro (Samurai Deeper Kyo, Samurai Showdown game) for a boy.
- What theme or institution in anime should be decreased or increased and why?
Decreased: Harem type anime where one guy (although usually cute and good at sports and school work) has all of these beautiful girls around him who don’t mind “sharing” him with each other.
Increased: Anime with a strong female character that slowly submits to a sincere, strong male character and they live happily-ever-after. (A woman can dream, can’t she? LOL!)
One of my favorite anime quotes:
"Hiro, it's only natural, right? When you're talented it's only natural to focus solely on it, right?" Shuichi Shindo, Gravitation, 1st ep.