DAS Spotlight for July 2007: Scott Johnson
First: With DAS CEO at the 3rd Annual DAS Halloween Minicon on 10/22/06
Second: After the DAS Kanameiji Meeting
in Abington, PA on 3/30/07
(Back in black shirt next to pink shirt and yellow bag)
Also, Scott loves his guitar hero!(right with guitar, in blue)
- Name: Scott Johnson
- DAS Position/Role: President of DAS Kanameiji(PA chapter)
- Location: Hatboro, Pennsylvania
- What are your favorite animes, music, and Asian cinema?
I’m a big fan of the classics. Legend of Galactic Heroes, Most Ghibli studio works, Macross, anything directed by Satoshi Kon, Satsuma Gishiden, The works of Osamu Tezuka, Nadia, “Now and Then, Here and there”, X, Sanctuary, Eagle, First President of Japan, To Terra, Vision of Escaflowne, Record of the lodoss wars, The Big O, Death Note. To name a few.
- Hobbies outside of anime? Video games, Science, Camping, Laying on the beach, Sci-fi and computers.
- What do you like best about the DAS? I like the ability of having a network of people throughout two states to draw on for events and also the ability to have a anime club not connected to a university that is actually growing.
- What do you think the future holds for the DAS? I foresee membership rising, especially in the PA branch, which now has a stable location, and once the summer is over hopefully more regular attendees.
- Do you cosplay? If so, what are your favorite costume(s)
I don’t cosplay. Maybe someday.
- Conventions attended and/or staffed?
Oh god, I’ve been attending Otakon every year since 98. Katsucon for the last 4 years. I’ve attended Anime Central (3 times), Ohayocon (3 times), Zenkaikon, Philly Wizard world, ToraCon. I usually run the Anime Club Summit panel at Otakon, and in the past I’ve run it at ACen, Ohayocon and Katsucon
- Have you ever named a pet/computer/insert word here after an anime or Asian character? If so, which and why?
I’ve named a cat after a firefly character (Kaylee) if that counts. .
- What theme or institution in anime should be decreased or increased and why?
I would like to see more anime that is directed towards adult audiences with political topics. I’d also like to see less shows that try and push the boundaries of what a 18 year old looks like, because I want a lot less Lolicon. Oh god. Is that stuff horrible. Be ashamed of yourself if you’re a fan!